Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Someone's missing their funny bone

PTSD is such a nasty thing.  It is anxiety.  All the time.  When you're anxious you don't find humor in things.  You instantly turn to worst case scenarios and make mountains out of mole hills, sometimes out of ant hills!  It has caused so much heartache and tears and bouts of anger in my household and it's taken away the humor in my husband.  

Case in point:

Tonight I let my 8 month old bulldog out back to do her business.  The hubby was gone so I left her out there while I got the kids ready for bed.   Afterwards, I opened up the sliding glass door, opened the screen door and stepped out into the night, shutting the screen door behind me.   Well, I unhooked her collar from the lead and she took off like a bullet out of a gun.

Straight through the screen door.


I couldn't believe it.  The dumb-ass dog must have not seen the screen.  I couldn't believe she went through it like that, like there was nothing there.  I was annoyed, already thinking ahead to when I was going to find time to fix it, but after a minute or two I smiled.  It was kind of funny!

I called up the Hubs to let him know.  He found it less than humorous.  In fact, he was downright pissed off about it.  He started swearing into the phone about how he hated the dog, how she was no good, yadda yadda, etc etc.    I ended up hanging up on him because he was so grouchy and I think he was enjoying hearing himself yell, to be honest.

He was still a ways off in the car so he didn't make it home for another 40 minutes or so.  He walked in, yelled at the dog, grouched at everyone, and sat down on the couch, bitching about random crap.   Then when I told him it was kind of funny, that the dog did that, he said, "yeah, it's funny to you.  You don't have to pay for it".   I don't really get that....it's his old stand by veiled insult to me.  Because I've stayed home to raise our kids and take care of him, we have lived off of his income alone.  Somehow, when he says that, I think I'm supposed to be offended.  I used to be, but now I mentally roll my eyes and tell him to take a pill.

Anyway, I wish he found humor in the small stuff.  Life would be a little easier if he would.  Come on, a big fat bulldog puppy just burst through a screen door like a knife through butter.  Yes, it's going to be a pain to fix but only because we'll have to take the time to either take the screen in, or fix it ourselves.
In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a big deal and it was funny!

At least, I thought so...

No comments:

Post a Comment