Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

R&R - Girls Weekend!!!

I had an absolutely awesome weekend.  Back in February a friend of mine sent out one of those facebook- event thingies inviting a ton of her friends to a Girls Only Weekend at her boyfriend's cabin in northern Wisconsin.  I think I was one of the very first to respond with a big, fat YES.   Oh my gosh, I was so excited to be invited and I looked forward to the weekend away.

We left Friday after Amy got off of work.  The hours before being picked up seemed to drag by.  I was like a little kid again, impatient with anticipation and giddy with excitement to be on our way.  When she got to my house a little after five on Friday night, I quick kissed the kids, waved by to the Hubs and practically ran out the front door to the waiting car.

I was FREE!!!!   For close to 48 hours I had no responsibilities.  No diapers to change, no dishes to do, zero loads of laundry to run; pure freedom was in my grasp.   Don't get me wrong.  Of course I love my children and my husband, but this was my chance to relax and unwind and recharge my batteries.  I don't remember the last time I had a weekend all to myself, with no worries.  Even on weekends when Hubs had taken the kids to see his parents, I was still running around doing laundry and cleaning.   This was much needed and much deserved.

 My friend's boyfriend has a small cabin up north close to a lake.  We went boating on Saturday, renting a pontoon boat and spending all day on the water.  It was a little cool at first, but it turned out to be a beautiful day.   The water was pretty damn frigid, even being the first of August so we stayed on the boat and got some sun.   Some of us got more sun than others.   I come from Irish and German heritage and I tend to burn.   Saturday was no different.   I am now a lovely shade of tomato red and I can't wear a bra because it hurts too much.  

Oh well, totally worth it!

The weekend was such a needed mini vacation.   I think it's important to get away occasionally and spend time with friends.   That's needed in regular marriages, but especially for the spouses of wounded warriors.  It's so important to take care of yourself and by doing so, you can take better care of the veteran.  I will admit, I didn't really worry much about the Hubs and the kids this past weekend.  Yes, my husband has PTSD but he has come such a long way and besides, he is their father!!  He should be able to handle his own offspring.  That being said, I got asked at least twice by some of the girls who went with me how Hubs would do being by himself.  Happy to report, he did fine.

 The weekend was perfect and I feel refreshed.  I've noticed today that I have much more patience for my daughter.  I think being away has helped with my parenting too.  

I can't wait for next year.  We're already planning it!

No comments:

Post a Comment