Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

University visit with built in therapy

Today I took a little field trip to a university in the area to meet with a professor regarding what courses I need to take to get my certification up to date for the state.   The university butts up right next to the shore of Lake Michigan.  I had never been on campus before, and as I drove up I was amazed at the view.



The picture doesn't really do it justice.  I got there a few minutes early and parked my car and walked over to the bluffs. I think I stared out at the water for a good 10 minutes or so, just watching the waves and an occasional sailboat come by.  

There's something therapeutic about water.  I'm not a water baby.....I couldn't care less if I never went in it, but I LOVE to watch it.  I would just love to have a house on a lake with a balcony where I could sit out there in the morning with my coffee and watch the waves or just stare at the water.  Today when I got to the college, I was a little nervous about meeting with the professor, but looking at the water just soothed me.

  If you recall, I had been accepted into the University of Wisconsin's School of Social Work for the fall semester.  I declined acceptance after I had a chance to be on campus and interact with the departments.  Nothing, NOTHING against the U of W....it's a fantastic school.  But, it's more than an hour from me, and it's such a large institution.  I very much felt like a very small fish in a very large pond.  It turned out to be much too intimidating and overwhelming for me.

This university I visited today is very small.  Turns out, I didn't need to be stressed about meeting the professor because she was AWESOME!   She spent about 40 minutes with me discussing all my options and answering any questions I had.  I'm still not quite sure which route to take, but I now have much more information and I know that I can email or call her with any additional questions I have.    There's something to be said for small colleges and universities and the individual attention you receive there.  

The journey to figure out what I want to be "when I grow up" continues, but I feel like I am a million steps closer now than I was yesterday.  I also have a great place to visit now to get my great water views! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment