Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Back to School

Well, I'm in.   10 years after graduating with my bachelor's degree, and many, MANY possible career changes later, I have finally.....FINALLY started my post baccalaureate degree.

I started this latest process only weeks ago.  I guess that's how I roll.   I mean, I got married pretty quick after meeting my man, I got preggo right after getting married....Once I make up my mind about something, things tend to go pretty quickly.  Anyway, I had decided to stick with special education.  I had applied, was about to be accepted, and had already met with the program advisor.  It would be hard work, but I could and would get done in two years, in time to keep my license I already had without it expiring in June 2014.

Then, just days later, I found THE program.  I was browsing around on the college's website and came across Higher Ed Admin.  Intrigued, I clicked on the link and that forever changed everything.   Higher Ed is a program for people who want to work in higher education administration, aka - colleges and/or universities.  As I read about the program, I realized that this degree was right up my alley.   I mean, come on!  I have had so many issues trying to figure out what I truly want to do in my life.  What better than to work in a college or university environment, advising students on what to do with THEIR lives???

In a spur of a moment, I contacted the accelerated admissions advisor and met with her days later.  I actually met with her a week to the day after I had met with the special ed advisor.   I switched my intended degree over  and waited to see if I got admitted.  I was!  Quickly, I registered for classes and this past Tuesday was my very first class!

I LOVED IT!!!   I knew, from that very first class, that I had finally found my program.  It's going to be hard work, but I know it's what I want to do.

I guess the moral of this story is that don't settle for a job that you don't like.   Do what you need to do to make ends meet, but never give up the dream of doing something bigger and better.  It may take awhile.....It's taken my 10 years to get my crap together and figure it all out, but I'm so glad it happened this way.  If i had gone with nursing, or teaching, or something else....I would have missed out on this opportunity.   Everything happens in due course, at least that's what I'm finding.

Now, off to study!  I have loads of reading to do before next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment