Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

What do I want to be when I grow up?

Decisions, decisions.  I've been blessed for the last year to be unemployed.  In today's economic pit of despair, that may sound trite or sarcastic.  Nope, I really mean it.  I have been able to stay home for the past year; First when I was very pregnant, and then after Jr. came I was able to remain at home.  For the most part, it's been lovely.  I love staying home with my little man.  I love being able to put Munchkin on the bus in the morning, and then be there when she comes home too.  I will say, that since both Hubs and I are home together, all day, every day....sometimes I do get a little crazy with togetherness.  But, that's a small price to pay.

As I said, I've been blessed to be able to stay home.  However, lately I've been getting the itch to get back out in the workforce.  Have a chance to make a little income, get out of the house for a few hours, and feel like I'm contributing to society.  (I realize I'm contributing in the best way already; raising children to be hardworking, decent humans, and taking care of a wounded warrior).  Then, when Hubs and I got into it a few weeks ago and the "D" word came up, I suddenly realized that if we were to get divorced, I'd be screwed.  I think we're over that issues (again), but I still would like to get back out there.

The question is, what should I do?  I am a teacher, licensed in grades K-12th.  Working full time though, is scary.  Hubs all alone every day, all day with Junior might make him go batty.  And he's not the best at getting up with the kids.  I envision a lot of late mornings, missed buses and frantic calls from him to my cell phone.  Yikes.

No, instead I've tried to look for jobs that are flexible and part time.  I interviewed last week for a position as a paraprofessional.  For those not in the education world, that means teacher's aide.  I did really well, and I'm invited back for a 2nd interview.  The committee asked why I would want to be an aide when I'm a teacher.  I explained that I still have a baby at home, this would let me work a few hours, and honestly, I wouldn't have the weekend lesson planning, the parents nights, the IEP meetings, etc.   I do wonder though, how I'll feel if I do get it.  Having someone else tell me what to do, how to teach it, etc.....might be nice at first but wondering if it'll drive me crazy.

Another opportunity I have looked into is that of a Family Engagement Coordinator.  It's VERY part time, as in 320 hours for the entire school year.  I like it because I can do it all from home and it could lead to bigger and better down the road.  I did a phone screening for that this past Thursday and waiting to hear back if I actually get to go in and interview.  

Eventually I would like to get a different career altogether.  The problem is, I have a lot of different interests.  I'm interested in Occupational Therapy, but that's a lot of school because it's a masters and I have none of the prereqs.  I also have an interest in school psychology or clinical psych.  Another area of interest is social work.  I would like to work with parents whose kids are in the Children's hospital.  See, lots of different areas and I don't want to commit to anything until I know 100% that I want to do it and stay with it.  Makes it a problem because I like aspects of all of them.

So for now, I'll continue to apply and interview.  If/when I do get hired on I think it will be bitter sweet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment