Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Dog therapy

I have this habit of looking up dogs online at the local humane society.   About three weeks ago I was online doing the usual:   Browsing the adoptable dogs to see if there was one that would fit into our family.  I clicked the page open and saw lots of pitbull puppies.  That's a no go.  I think they are the neatest looking dogs and I'm sure there are great pits out there, but you here too many horror stories about toddlers getting mauled and killed by pitbulls.

Anyway, at the very bottom of the page was a listing for a shih tzu.  He was so new, they hadn't had time to put up his picture yet online.  I don't know why, but I had a feeling.  I immediately dialed Hubs, who was on the way back from an appointment at the VA.  I told him to get his tush to the humane society and check out this little 2 year old Shih Tzu.  For whatever reason, he did it.  That in itself is a miracle.  Any other day and Hubs would have complained about going out of his way to look at some random dog. 

However, Hubs went and after awhile I got a text with a picture.  Buster, the Shih Tzu, was SO STINKING CUTE!  A few minutes later, Hubs called and said he was filling out paperwork.  An hour later the four of us were in a room at the humane society making sure Buster was a good fit for us.  Turns out that he was a great fit for our family.  

Buster has been an awesome addition to the family.  He's not a puppy so we don't have to worry about house training a dog.  Buster's the type of dog to just sit next to you on the couch and cuddle.  Hubby will sit down in his recliner and Buster will jump up and just sit up there.  It's been really soothing for Hubs to have the dog to pet and calm him down.  Isn't it amazing how having a pet, the right pet, can lower stress levels?

Right now Buster is sitting next to me on the couch.  Only bummer about having a dog is having to take them out to go potty.  It's about -25 degrees out right now and I'm going to need to take him out here in a few.  Brrrrrr!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment