Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Happy birthday to me!


Today is my birthday.

As far as my birthdays go, this one was actually pretty decent.   It's been unseasonably nice lately so last night I went to sleep with the windows open and so it was delightful waking up this morning to a nice breeze blowing in through the window.    Then, I went and got a coffee from Caribou Coffee.  I was in such a good mood I decided to do a Random Act of Kindness and buy the coffee for the guy behind me in the drive through.  I hope he enjoyed it!

Work was pretty good.  My students were kind of antsy.  Is it a full moon?  Perhaps the fact that tomorrow are the Halloween parties?  Not sure but either way, they may have been ornery but they weren't bad.

One of the best things about today though......My husband told me Happy Birthday......unprompted!   This is a big deal.  Hubs and I don't make a big deal out of birthdays for each other.  I would like to make more out of them, but Hubs just doesn't.  In birthdays past, it's been known that I have gone without a happy birthday from him.  Usually he will say it after I prompt him, or the kids will tell him.  Either way.....doesn't feel too special when you have to ask to be told happy bday.   That's why this was so nice today.  He came up and put his arm around me and told me Happy Birthday.  Short and sweet but I'll take it!

I think that's one of the most discouraging aspects of his PTSD; the fact that he is so detached from everyone and has such trouble showing affection.  I'm not a really super affectionate gal, but I love hugs and a kiss would be nice.  I want to feel appreciated, dammit!  Anyway, his small gesture, which to most people would be the bare bones of what you should do for your spouse on her birthday, was a huge gesture to me because he DOESN'T do them normally.

Anyone else's spouse like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment